Do you like to read?

Good. So do I. What started out as a place where I posted reviews, thoughts, and suggestions surrounding mostly young adult fiction has now turned into my personal venting space. I'm going to review books. I'm going to be honest. And I'm going to be snarky. You've been warned.







May 18, 2011

On the Road


A great American Novel, written by Jack Kerouac in the 1950s. I so want to read this book, and even more so before December roles around.

Why?

Because it's been turned into a movie, damn it. And my favorite actress, Kristen Stewart, is in it. Wait, did I say favorite? I totally meant non-favorite.

It's probably been a long time coming and was going to happen sooner or later, but I really wish Hollywood would stop ruining books. Don't get me wrong, I really hope this movie doesn't suck, and I honestly don't care that much that Stewart's in the film, but movies from books aren't usually as awesome as they are in my head - my head's pretty awesome, just so you know. Of course these movies don't all suck, but it still worries me. Maybe with Walter Salles as the director (The Motorcycle Diaries - also a book, and a pretty cool movie - and a short from Paris, Je T'Aime), this new movie will stand a chance.



So, what's this story all about, anyway? Well, being on the road. Duh. It's actually a lightly fictitious autobiography of Kerouac and the road trips he and his friends would take. This book has greatly defined the Beat Generation. The story is narrated by Sal Paradise, a guy looking for freedom, and sets out to travel the country - exploring friendship, booze, drugs, women, and jazz along the way. Sounds awesome, right? I think so.

What I also find interesting is how the original manuscript of On the Road was typed on a 120 foot scroll of tracing paper sheets that Kerouac cut to size and taped together. That's dedication.



Popular musicians influenced by the Beats? Jim Morrison, the Beatles (or should I say Beat-les), and Bob Dylan.

No comments:

Post a Comment