Do you like to read?

Good. So do I. What started out as a place where I posted reviews, thoughts, and suggestions surrounding mostly young adult fiction has now turned into my personal venting space. I'm going to review books. I'm going to be honest. And I'm going to be snarky. You've been warned.







Nov 20, 2011

Mockingjay (and The Hunger Games Trilogy)

The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins concludes with Mockingjay. I read all three books (The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay) consecutively. The were easy to become lost in and it was impossible to not want to know what was going to happen next.

With that said, Mockingjay was my least favorite book. Catching Fire was somewhat predictable and slow-moving, and left all of the action for the end of the book, but it still had me flipping pages late into the night. The Hunger Games was by far the best (which I talked about here).


Now back to Mockingjay. I liked how this book neatly wrapped up the trilogy. It seemed like a real ending. I liked how people got what was coming to them, and I liked how there were consequences. But (and there's always a but), some of the deaths of characters seemed to come out of no where, like they only happened to make Katniss go a little crazier. Also, the action in Mockingjay just didn't measure up to the two books. It wasn't always easy to follow, either, and felt kind of forced. Though I liked how it ended, some of the characters just dropped off the face of the planet. Did Katniss really never talk to them again?? I didn't buy it. But it is what it is, and I still read it, didn't I?

As a whole, these three books, collectively, made up an excellent series. The movie looks interesting, too. This trailer is better than the last one I shared. And it pretty much sums up the whole first book, so I guess if you watch it, you'll be all set...



I'm super excited for Woody Harrelson to play Haymitch. Squee!

No comments:

Post a Comment