Do you like to read?

Good. So do I. What started out as a place where I posted reviews, thoughts, and suggestions surrounding mostly young adult fiction has now turned into my personal venting space. I'm going to review books. I'm going to be honest. And I'm going to be snarky. You've been warned.







Jan 21, 2012

Entwined

It was pictures like this that made me want to be a princess when I grew up.


But then I grew up. And I'm not a princess. That's fine by me, though. I'd rather read stories like Entwined than be a real life princess.

This story is based off of the fairy tale, The Twelve Dancing Princesses. I always liked this fairy tale because it was the first play I saw when I was in kindergarten -- brings me to a place of nostalgia. Also,  I've never read a novel based off of a fairy tale, so why not start. Entwined seems to be just one of many. I chose this one specifically because it was 99 cents, and the Princess of the Midnight Ball -- also based off of the Twelve Dancing Princesses -- was not. Yeah, I know. I'm cheap.

So Entwined by Heather Dixon. Where to begin. This was a fun book -- not the greatest book I've ever read, but it was fun. I liked how I could see immediate connections between this story and the original tale. At first, the abundance of cheesy "surprised" or "disappointed" lines like Great Scott, or raspberries (they get better) annoyed me, but then I realized it was part of the image and world Dixon was trying to create. It grew on me. Something I couldn't get past, though, was how many times the phrase "he sucked in his cheeks" was used. It got to the point where I was like Why!? Use a different phrase, please! He's tense, I get it.

Because this is based off of a well-known tale, you know how it's going to end. What makes this so successful is how it's told and how the conflicts come about. Azalea, the oldest princess and main character, is a great lead. She's sweet, strong, and acts just how I'd imagine the oldest of 12 would act. I also like how she wasn't the prettiest sister, too. All the characters seemed real, developed -- even the King, who is supposed to come off as cold and distant. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about them all. Even the villain. You wanted to like him, even though you knew -- before everyone else -- how much of a creepy jerk he was. So if you want to be swept away to a Once upon a time land, then grab this one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Something else nostalgic? Barbies. And guess who did a movie about the 12 Dancing Princesses? Yep, Barbie.

No comments:

Post a Comment