Do you like to read?

Good. So do I. What started out as a place where I posted reviews, thoughts, and suggestions surrounding mostly young adult fiction has now turned into my personal venting space. I'm going to review books. I'm going to be honest. And I'm going to be snarky. You've been warned.







Jun 26, 2013

I'm back, with a New Sensation

Reading. I'm always doing it, and I'm always thinking about it. If I had a book I could eat when I was done reading it, I think I'd be set for life. No matter how many books I have waiting to be read, I can't seem to keep myself from obsessing over Amazon and Goodreads, browsing and researching things to read in the future until I have a list I'll never get through. It's like the song that never ends and that creepy lamb puppet. Except with books.


Though I've dedicated this blog to (mostly) young adult books, I do read other genres. I think I would have given up on reading if I didn't. Which brings me to my point. I've been inspired by all the gawd awful young adult books I've read over the past year to start up my blog again. It's probably my own fault for putting my faith in a 99 cent book from a new author, but I like to give people a chance. Yet time and time again, I'm left disappointed by lack of story or overall crappiness of the writing. I know most of these books are aimed at 13-year-old girls (which I most definitely am not), but does that mean a story can't be written well or be thought-provoking? Does that mean a story can automatically be predictable? Do we really want to teach young people that it's okay to publish crap just because you finished writing a story, or do we want to show them that it's okay to raise the bar? I admit I'm a critical reader (Maybe because I studied literature for 4 years? I don't know, just a hunch). It's not enough to have a decent story and okay writing skills. I want to read something entertaining that I won't want to put down -- because I actually like the story, not because it's a train wreck and I can't look away. I understand the writing world is a hard, cruel place, which is way I've decided I won't bog down Amazon and Goodreads reviews by venting my frustration (unless the book is full of review liars). That's what I'll use my blog for -- my own personal venting space.

So get ready, people. I'm going to be honest. And I'm not going to hold back.

Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment