Do you like to read?

Good. So do I. What started out as a place where I posted reviews, thoughts, and suggestions surrounding mostly young adult fiction has now turned into my personal venting space. I'm going to review books. I'm going to be honest. And I'm going to be snarky. You've been warned.







May 23, 2010

Untitled

This is something I wrote a few years ago. It's simple, and kind of cheesy, but the reason I like this story is because it was for a writing assignment, a "round robin" as my teacher called it, where you write a paragraph, and then keep passing it along until it comes back to you. And this was my story, after I edited it. Enjoy!


“Where are my shoes?” Erin asked irritably, rushing through the apartment.

Brandon sat calmly in the sofa, dressed in his tuxedo. “Honey, we’re going to be late if you don’t get moving. You have a closet full of shoes.”

“I know!” she shouted. “Stop pressuring me.”

It had been a rough couple of months, but this award ceremony was supposed to be the start of a new stage in their relationship. So far, it was starting off rocky.

The buzzer on the wall went off.

“The taxi is here,” Brandon announced as he stood.

“I’m coming, I’m coming,” Erin replied as she scurried out of the bedroom, frustration evident on her face.

“About time,” Brandon said under his breath.

Erin shot him a threatening glare.

They rushed out the door as Erin shoved on her shoes and down the stairs to the awaiting vehicle.

As the cab drove on its way, Brandon’s mind began to fill with thoughts. This was a night he had been looking forward to since he had embarked on his career as a writer. Finally, he was getting the recognition he deserved. Things seemed to be going on the right track, and not just for him. Erin had just received a big promotion she had been working hard toward. So why was it that their relationship seemed to be suffering?

He could not think about that now. A sense of composure came over him as he realized they were going to be on time after all. He looked over at Erin and ran a hand through her hair.

“My god,” he whispered, “you are beautiful.”

She smiled and placed a hand in his.

The taxi cruised nonchalantly through an intersection, only blocks from where the ceremony was to be held. Out of the dark came a giant car, colliding into the side of the yellow cab. Horrendous sounds of clashing metal, screeching tires, and bloodcurdling screams filled the air. And then it fell silent.

At first, Brandon could not comprehend what had happened. Everything was a haze and all he could hear was intense ringing. The sobs of a woman snapped him awake.

From what he could tell, his injuries were not serious. His head was bleeding and his ribs were sore, but that was about it.

As he looked over at Erin, his heart sank. Blood soaked her clothes and skin. Her body was wedged between the seat and the mangled door.

“Erin! Are you ok?”

“God,” she managed to say between tears, “I don’t think so.”

His heart raced. “Ok, it’s ok. I’ll get you out of here.”

As he tried to move her, she cried out in pain.

“I’m so sorry, Brandon.”

“What are you sorry for? We’ll be alright,” he said quickly, trying to think of what to do.

“I’ve been so bitchy, and my stupid job…”

“Hey, it’s ok,” Brandon told her as he kissed her face. Fear began creeping over him as he felt how cold her skin was. “Stay with me,” he whispered, cupping her face in his hands. “I need you, Erin.”

Her strength was fading fast.

“Erin,” he ached.

She smiled softly, tears lying motionless on her cheeks. “You know, as hard as it may seem, despite your large ego, I really do love you.”

He returned her smile. “I know. You may be difficult, but I love you, too.”

Her smile faded and her body fell limp.

“Erin,” he called softly. “Erin,” he repeated, but with more force and fear.

She was gone.

By then, the sirens had arrived. Paramedics and firemen rushed to the wreckage and pulled Brandon from the scene. He stood dazed, staring at the scene before him. It could not be real. This couldn’t be happening.

Everything that he had thought mattered to him disappeared from his mind. Money, recognition, success. None of that seemed to matter anymore. What mattered were precious moments and the small things, loved ones and those special feelings. The woman he had spent the last six years with, the woman that he wanted to share his life with, was gone. That was all that mattered.

No comments:

Post a Comment