Do you like to read?

Good. So do I. What started out as a place where I posted reviews, thoughts, and suggestions surrounding mostly young adult fiction has now turned into my personal venting space. I'm going to review books. I'm going to be honest. And I'm going to be snarky. You've been warned.







Jan 18, 2011

The Spirit Window and All You Get is Me

When I heard about All You Get Is Me by Yvonne Prinz, it made me think of Joyce Sweeney's The Spirit Window. The stories probably have little in common, but they both involve a teenager who loves photography, are thrust into nature, not knowing what to expect, and in turn learn valuable life lessons along the way.

I read The Spirit Window by Joyce Sweeney years ago, when I was a sophomore in high school, determined to read a new book as often as possible. In my English class, there was a certain amount of pages we had to read each semester, and the more you read, the more extra credit you got, and the person who read the most got a prize. Back when I was 15, I lived on the other side of town from my best friend and only got to see her on weekends, and did not fit in with the rich preps my school was made up of. Reading, and writing, were my two favorite activities to pass the time. Unfortunately, I moved away before I was able to claim my prize, but this book was one I discovered during that period of time.



It wasn't the most exciting book in the world, but it's a cute story of family, friendship, finding first love, and understanding nature. Teenager, Miranda, travels to Florida to visit her estranged grandmother with her father and stepmother. Unsure what to expect, she is introduced to the land that her grandmother loves, the land her father wants to dig up and build on top of. There are no big surprises and the relationship involving Miranda and Adam is predictable, but I would recommend reading it nonetheless for a quick, memorable read.

I have not had a chance to read All You Get Is Me, but I'm interested in getting my hands on it. From what I've read about it, there are many things going on in this book that the main character, Roar (Roar? Forest? Storm? Ugh), is dealing with and experiencing - a broken family, leaving the city for farm life, a budding romance, friendships, and rights for immigrant workers. It all sounds interesting. I'm afraid, though, that there might be too much going on in this book, but my curiosity has been roused enough to find out for myself what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment