Do you like to read?

Good. So do I. What started out as a place where I posted reviews, thoughts, and suggestions surrounding mostly young adult fiction has now turned into my personal venting space. I'm going to review books. I'm going to be honest. And I'm going to be snarky. You've been warned.







May 10, 2012

Hush Money

I found this book while I was dinking around, procrastinating writing papers. And I'm really glad I put off writing that damn paper.


The main conflict of Hush Money reminds me of The Incredibles, or even X-Men. Those who are born with special abilities, called Talents, are feared. And when they're discovered, they're taken and no one ever sees them again. So the Talents try and keep their abilities secret as best they can. But people slip up, and then they're taken. This is why Joss is taught to be invisible. Don't get close to anyone. Always have a plan, and always have a way out. But then she makes a friend she never wanted, and gets stuck trying to protect her from the feared bully of the school, Marco. And Marco's not a normal bully. He's a scheming jerk who will do whatever it takes to get his way. As if that wasn't enough, the boy Joss has always liked, Dylan, has finally started to talk to her. Uh-oh. How's she supposed to stay invisible now?

It's been a long time since I've read a YA book and just really loved it. Though this is part of a series (The Talent Chronicles), Hush Money by Susan Bischoff did not give me some annoying cliff hanger or love triangle. Yay!

I think what made this work for me was how real the characters feel. They have depth to them. They're funny. They're idiots. They're assholes. And I love them for it. The dialogue is really great, too. It's realistic, how I'd expect teenagers nowadays to talk. So yeah, there's a lot of swearing. But that's never bothered me before.

Joss is a great main character. She's not your average girl. I love how she wears a military jacket and combat boots every day. The book switched between Joss' point of view and Dylan's, but stayed mostly with Joss.Which is fine, because I like Dylan, too. He's always wearing a leather jacket. He just screams You're going to like me, so deal with it. And so I did.

Perhaps the one thing about this book that I didn't like was how typically bad Marco was. Some of the stuff he said and did left me cringing and rolling my eyes. But if you love superheroes and want an easy, deliciously fun read, choose this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of The Incredibles.


Muahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment