Do you like to read?

Good. So do I. What started out as a place where I posted reviews, thoughts, and suggestions surrounding mostly young adult fiction has now turned into my personal venting space. I'm going to review books. I'm going to be honest. And I'm going to be snarky. You've been warned.







Sep 28, 2011

Horror

Now that Halloween decorations are starting to appear in all kinds of stores, horror is on my mind. I love horror movies. The original Halloween is probably one of my favorites out there. I've seen it countless times, but the music, and Michael Meyers' eerie determination, draws me in every time.

Then I started thinking about books, and I have to admit, I haven't read many that were supposed to be strictly horror. The scariest, creepiest books I've read were probably World War Z and The Road. I think the only Stephen King I dove into was Cujo, which I didn't think was scary, but rather interesting (the movie wasn't that good, FYI). The best part was probably getting a peak inside the dog's head as it started to go crazy. And then there's Interview with the Vampire -- more enthralling than frightening. When I was younger, I read a lot of Goosebumps and Fear Street. The one I remember the most is One Evil Summer.
Isn't that cover creepy enough? When someone is holding a cat up in the air and laughing evilly, it's never a good thing. As the book cover clearly states, Chrissy is perfectly evil. And Amanda is the only one that seems to see that something is off. Until Chrissy gets caught trying to murder the family.

Another book that I liked, though I wouldn't classify it as horror, was Twins by Caroline B. Cooney. It was about -- you guessed it -- twins. Except one of them is evil, and when she dies the remaining twin, Mary Lee, takes over her identity. But of course, like every good suspense story, things aren't what they seem, and Mary Lee discovers that her twin wasn't who she thought she was. Hmm, that sounds kind of similar to a few TV shows that are out right now.
  

I've always wanted to read Dracula and The Shining. Maybe I'll do that this October. Have any others to add to my list?

No comments:

Post a Comment