Do you like to read?

Good. So do I. What started out as a place where I posted reviews, thoughts, and suggestions surrounding mostly young adult fiction has now turned into my personal venting space. I'm going to review books. I'm going to be honest. And I'm going to be snarky. You've been warned.







Sep 6, 2011

Galway or Bust

Here's another short story I wrote about Ireland. It was for an assignment, so there were restrictions, but I won't bore you with the details.


Be you still, be you still, trembling heart. Quit jumping and throbbing, damn it. Accept that I went against my parents. Stubborn heart that thinks it knows everything, don’t make me ache, second-guess, and fear. It’s hard to say why I jumped on a plane so suddenly. But I did, and here I am. In Ireland.

God help me.

There was only one real plan, but plans usually bend, unlike iron. Defying my expectations, one hostel mate took me under her wing. We chatted for a while, and then she invited me out. The feathers hanging in her hair, her vintage boots and military jacket, all emitted coolness. I agreed.

“How long are you here for?”

"A few days? I just know I need to get to Galway."

"I like you, lady. You can read minds. I've been meaning to head west!”

I followed her, and her banjo, through Dublin streets. I could not keep my eyes off of people, buildings, or cobblestone streets. Never far from sight were those performing for tips. One group of three performing along Grafton asked her to join them. I watched in awe. Without realizing it, my eyes glued to the man in center, singing and playing guitar. He was, quite possibly, the most gorgeous human being I had ever seen in person.

“Miss Dawn, who’s this?” the gorgeous singer asked.

She introduced me and I learned he was her cousin, Crofton.

“Do you play?”

“A little guitar.”

Crofton handed over his instrument. “Then join us.”

My body jolted. “But . . . but . . . ”

"C, G, and A. You'll figure out the rest."

"Wait!"

But he didn't. And after standing motionless like an idiot, I finally began. My heart was furious and my fingers terrified, but I managed to get through it without losing my breakfast.

"Not bad," Crofton said. I tried to give back the guitar, but he refused it. "This one's trickier. Follow Sean's lead."

"For you, Galway Girl!" Dawn laughed.

I begged, but they insisted, and I didn’t want to disappoint. As I watched the crowd, bobbing heads and tapping feet to this crowd favorite, I started to feel something I hadn't expected – exhilaration.

"You guys are like, street performers?" I asked after Dawn, Crofton and I wandered into a pub along Temple Bar.

"We prefer the term buskers."

"Is that how you make a living?”

"It's how we travel. We want to keep going before we head back to Scotland . . . or settle somewhere.”

“That sounds amazing. If only I had your guts.”

For the next two days, they showed me the intricate details of what it meant to be a traveling busker trying to make ends meet. Our nights would end at the Auld Dubliner where we would share pints and chatter.

“When are you leaving for Galway?” Crofton asked as we sat one night.

“Tomorrow.”

“I hope you find what you’re looking for.”

“It scares me. I want to know about my family, but I feel like an idiot for being so spontaneous without knowing what I’m getting into.”

“No, I think it’s brave.”

“So, Mr. Crofton,” Dawn began.

“Mr. Crofton’s my father.”

She continued. “How about Galway?”

“Wait, you guys want to go?”

Dawn shrugged. “I told you I wanted to head west!”

He studied her for a moment, and then me. “Only if you, Miss Lady, will play with Miss Dawn and I.”

What?”

“You can’t deny that you like it.” My face turned crimson, but I could envision it, the three of us performing along the streets of Galway. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but for the first time in a long time, I realized I was doing something for me. This was the beginning of something I couldn’t quite see.

“So, Mr. Crofton,” I laughed, “recommend any travel reading?”

He grinned and thought for a moment. “On the Road. It might inspire you.”

My heart protested, but I ignored it. Living life on the road, off mediocre musical talents? I was intrigued. And I had to admit, if Mr. Crofton said that it was a very fine piece of writing, I wanted it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What's that song they play on the street? This one.
Steve Earle and Sharon Shannon performing Galway Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment