Do you like to read?

Good. So do I. What started out as a place where I posted reviews, thoughts, and suggestions surrounding mostly young adult fiction has now turned into my personal venting space. I'm going to review books. I'm going to be honest. And I'm going to be snarky. You've been warned.







Mar 8, 2012

Bourne: The River of Time

I've been waiting to read this novella ever since I found out Lisa Bergren was writing more. One of the things I love so much about this series is how Bergren listens to her readers. She knows how readers hate waiting for the next book in a series to come out (er, like me). Bourne was published just weeks after being finished and edited. I guess that's the perk of publishing via ebook, but still, I highly appreciate it.


Because this is a novella, it's not very long. Still, there's a lot of action crammed into it. In ways, I was kind of expecting more. I understand that Bergren was tying up loose ends. I guess, since the whole series up until this point has been told through only Gabi's eyes (this installment is told by both Gabi and little sis, Lia), I wanted more Gabi. She didn't really do anything other than fret over Marcello and Lia. Which is fine, but if all the action is involving Lia, then I think there should have been more Lia and less Gabi. I read an Amazon review that said all Gabi did was obsess over Marcello, but I don't agree with that. She had legitimate reasons for having him occupy all her thoughts. Also, I noticed that Lia mentioned how she nocked an arrow quiet a few times, to the point where I began to take note. I don't like being distracted by minor details like that.

Other than those small things, I loved Bourne. And right now, it's only 99 cents. Can't get much better than that. I'm really glad I got to see things from someone else's perspective. I'm a big fan of switching up point of views, and Lia is just as tough and likable as her older sister.

If you haven't read the previous books in the series (Waterfall, Cascade, and Torrent, which I wrote about here and here), you really should. They have a way of transporting you to a different time that's both romantic and horrifying. Gotta love those medieval fight scenes. I did, and I didn't think they were too gory. But then again, I do love horror and action movies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of action, this movie was on tv the other day. Oh, Mel. You just wanted freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment